Wednesday, 16 May 2018

When choosing a cleaning company, how important is Workers' Compensation insurance?

If you've ever hired an independent contractor to work at your home, have you considered what happens if there is an accident, for example, a fall? It will most likely be a case for the courts, as your homeowners' insurance will not cover this fall. Always ask any independent constructor for proof of their workers’ compensation insurance when allowing them to work in your home!

But what if you have an independent maid coming to your home to clean and do some household chores?  Who is responsible for this maid’s workers’ compensation?

The rule is about control. If the homeowner controls the independent maid’s work by setting the working hours and responsibilities, as well as providing the tools and cleaning products s/he uses to clean the home, that independent maid is really an employee of that household, even if s/he only works a couple of hours a week.  You do need to provide your domestic employees with workers’ compensation because your homeowners’ insurance will not cover you in the case of their accident. 

On the other hand, when you hire a professional cleaning company like Classmaids, your risks are covered.  Classmaids is fully licensed, bonded and insured. We invest in workers’ compensation, general liability, and bonding to offer 100% protection to our clients.


Please provide some information below to get your quote and book your cleaning online in less than 60 seconds. You can also give us a call at 561-470-9200.